[AMRadio] Open Wire - was AMRadio Digest, Vol 46, Issue 24

Ben Dover quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 14 08:05:08 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----

For my money, the ONLY advantage coax has over open wire feeders is
convenience.

You don't have to build coax, it doesn't demand the ingenuity and
attention to detail in installation that open wire does, and you can
just poke RG-213 thru a hole in the shack wall to get it to the rig!

On the other hand... open wire can be constructed for a fraction of the
cost of the same length of coax. You can get away with using an antenna
on a larger slice of the band with open wire and a tuner, due to the fact
that open wire's MUCH smaller losses allow it to be safely run at a much
higher VSWR than coax. If you design your home made open wire carefully,
it's weight is far less than a comparable run of coax, and that's a major
stress consideration when you're feeding an end supported dipole.

I personally love the stuff. Coax has it's place, but often it's not the
best solution to the problem.

Mr. T., W9LBB