[AMRadio] Open Wire - was AMRadio Digest, Vol 46, Issue 24

Robert Nickels W9RAN at oneradio.net
Wed Nov 14 11:10:38 EST 2007

Ben Dover wrote:
> I personally love the stuff. Coax has it's place, but often it's not the
> best solution to the problem.

I've always used coax, but wanted to give open wire a try, and so far
I'm very pleased with it.  But let's talk tuners for a minute, assuming
that we're not directly coupling to a balanced plate tank.  I've been
running 1500 watts PEP into a Heathkit SA-2060 with it's 4:1 balun
without incident, but I've heard all the stories about  core saturation,
etc.    How much advantage would a "real" balanced line tuner (e.g. a
link-coupled tuner or Johnson Matchbox) have?   Then antenna by the way
is 130 ft, center fed, and primarily used on 75 meters.

Also, having read comments by Cebik and others - any thoughts on
homebrewing high-power balanced tuners?

Thanks and 73,

Bob W9RAN