[AMRadio] Open Wire - was AMRadio Digest, Vol 46, Issue 24

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Nov 14 11:21:06 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "david knepper" <collinsradio at comcast.net>
To: "Ben Dover" <quixote2 at ix.netcom.com>; "Discussion of AM Radio in the
Amateur Service" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:13 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Open Wire - was AMRadio Digest, Vol 46, Issue 24

> Here at the Collins Radio Center/Museum,  one of our many antennas is a
> Zepp fed with 600 ohm open line.  The antenna is 244 feet long and works
> extremely well over the 80 meter and 40 meter dipoles.  The antenna is 1/2
> wave on 160, a full wave on 80 meters and multiple wavelengs on 40 meters.
>
> It is a great to have this capability both in gain and feed line loss.
>
> Real radio operators use open wire feedline.

Correction. Real radio operators use whatever works for them for what they
want to accomplish. Real radio operators do not blindly follow one single
path.

With so many antenna modeling programs available today it is nice to know
what a particular antenna will really do. Subjective comments without
supporting analysis are simply one persons opinion.

BTW, one open line antenna that gets very little mention simply because it
has never appeared in an ARRL publication is the "Folded Top Dual Band"
which is in the Radio Handbook from the 40's into at least the 70's when
interest in open line died (and before the current revival). It can be
scaled for any 2 adjacent bands. Those books also contain other antennas
that you will never see in an ARRL pub.

I may even put one of those FTDB's up since I can balun feed outside and run
coax into the house. Have to run it on Eznec first.

Carl
KM1H