[AMRadio] A slight different approach to the IARU bandplan issue

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 00:17:57 EST 2007

And my further response...

- - - - - - - -

w5zn at arrl.org writes:

> Your information is not correct. The IARU Region 2 band plan will not
> restrict AM operators in any way and you will notice no change whatsoever to
> your operating preference as a result of it.

I'm not relying upon second-hand information.  I've corresponded with IARU
Region 2 officials, who indicated that the intention was indeed to limit
bandwidths of various digital and phone modes, at the suggestion of an ARRL
representative.  And I've read the new plan myself, both the first edition and the
later revision - I'll attach copies of them to this email for your inspection.

The new plan calls for SSB max bandwidth of 2.7 kHz.  It mentions 6 kHz
bandwidth AM only on a couple small ranges on a couple bands.  This is much more
restrictive than our present IARU Region 2 band plan, is it not??  Look for
yourself.

Steve Johnston, WD8DAS