[AMRadio] What is the origin of the name "cheater cord"?

Zengmeiste at aol.com Zengmeiste at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 20:48:39 EST 2007

 Back in the day, when TV were made with tubes, glorious tubes,
 the power cord was attached to the back cover and held in place
 by a shim. Getting it out was easy, but putting it back was a pain,
 when the TV needed servicing.  So some enterprising person figured out
 that you could bring your own cord and 'cheat' the connection.

  'course back then I did the tube replacements myself (I was 12?) by
visiting Walgreen's a couple blocks away and playing with the U-TEST-IT
machine. New tube, TV works, Mom is enthralled. Usually the horizontal
oscillator?

 Walgreen's had a decent food counter on the first floor and ice-cream for 25
cents a pint, ohboy. Ah, memories.

  Thank you, Rick.

   73, Terry B  KC9KEL<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's new
at http://www.aol.com</HTML>