[AMRadio] (no subject)

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Sun Nov 18 16:39:46 EST 2007

Off-list there have been claims made that the response from the ARRL
President should reassure us that the bandwidth-bandplan is of no concern.  The idea
is that his answer should be believed and we can all just relax.

But how can we "believe" what the officials are telling us when they have
provided several conflicting messages on this subject?

ARRL Directors and Officials have told me, in writing, variously:

(A) ARRL voted in favor of the new bandplan, and it is intended for US
amateurs to follow as well as the rest of the hemisphere.
       versus
(B)  The new bandplan won't have any impact on operations in the US.  It is
only meant for "the other countries in the region".

      and

(X)  The ARRL won't seek FCC regulatory changes to include bandwidth for the
next two years.
       versus
(Y) The ARRL has no plans to seek FCC regulatory changes on this matter.
      versus
(Z) The ARRL hopes to secure FCC regulatory changes on this matter as soon as
practical.

What *is* their position?

Put these varying answers in the context of the League's recent attempt to
get the FCC to put bandwidth controls into the regulations, and after that
failed, the announcement in print that the ARRL will revisit this issue, and the
absolute silence on the Region 2 bandplan revision planning and development
until it was voted on and a done-deal, and it smells pretty bad.

The highly defensive responses from League officials to my initial gentle and
respectful inquiries was not reassuring - when people react like that it is
usually because they are very sorry you discovered what they were hiding.

Steve WD8DAS