[AMRadio] open wire line

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 17:52:40 EST 2007

I tried to get on the air a few days ago, and noticed the SWR was
extremely high on my loop, fed with ladder line.

After much futzing it finally dawned on me to check the loop for
continuity.  There was none.

The 450-ohm ladder line I've been using for two and a half years, before
it broke, is 14ga solid copper-clad steel wire.
Not conducive for windy (read: outdoor) applications.

So, my solution is going to be to home-brew an open wire feed line,
using insulated 12ga stranded copper wire.
I will still be using the same SA-2060A tuner that's carried me for years.

I'll probably go down to the local hardware store and get either some
wooden dowel rod, and chop it up to equal length pieces and cut a slot
at the end of each, spray 'em with urethane (for weather protection) and
then 'hot-glue' the wire/dowel in place.  Or, get some plexiglass rod
and do the same thing, minus the urethane spray paint.

My question is:
how far apart should the two wires be kept?
I've seen as little as 4" and as many as 6", and both claim to be ~600ohm.

The 450-ohm ladder line is only about 2" wide.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR