[AMRadio] open wire line (update)

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:26:57 EST 2007

Larry Szendrei wrote:
> Geoff/W5OMR wrote:
>> Yeah... I screwed up and connected the SWR bridge output to an
>> antenna connection on the tuner, instead of the RF input connector
>> (DOH!)
>> (me and my dumb-ass!  I wish hard living didn't come so easy to me!)

Yes (to answer the previous question in private mail), on the tuner.
(...shaking head...)
I dunno what I was thinking... (~sigh~)
*chuckle*  At least it's back to working, again.

I hope I'm doing -this- right... I got a 250TH tube in the mail last
week.  Everything else is turned off, and the filament voltage comes up
to around 5.75v, when there's not three other 250TH's lit up.  It's been
in there, at that high of filament voltage now for a couple of hours.
I'll let it cook till around 9pm, then take it out, put back in the
known, good-working tube, and load the rig up on 3.710, later this evening.

> I told you about my latest blonde moment (with apologies to all
> blonds!) privately. Unlike you, I'm not going to disclose it to the
> list ;>)

You ain't got a hair, -nowhere-, Larry!  ;-)    Besides, if someone else
can learn from -my- (our) screw-ups, so much the better!

> even 1/4", Geoff. For the work you're going to put into it, you want
> it to last. I don't think 1/6" would hold up well to the elements and
> stresses involved.

Well, 1/4" thick, and we're back to talking weight issues, again.  And,
if I'm gonna go with plexi, and want it to last, then Lexan is gonna be
the choice of laminate.  It'll handle the UV better'n plain ol' plexiglass.

> The feedline for my cellar shack does exactly that - "window line" to
> the cellar window, and the aforementioned W7FG line from the cellar
> window up to the feedpoint. The tuner sucks up any difference. There
> is no -practical- reason not to do it.

Didn't think there would be.

>> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
>> I'd like to extend an invitation to all AM'ers;  look for activity on
>> the bands late Wednesday evening.  I'll be either at the bottom of
>> 3700 (up to 3.725 - wherever there's a clear hole) or up around
>> 3.880~90 operating while my traditional turkey smoking process is
>> taking place, over night.  If there's too many in any one particular
>> round table, find a clear frequency and call CQ AM!   With a cold
>> front draping across the nation and dropping the temperatures in
>> Texas (at least) down some 30+ degrees, long distance conditions
>> -should- be favorable.
>>
> See you tonite (Tuesday) hopefully - just got the rig tuned up on 3716
> (There was an AM QSO on 3710). Also will try to get on tomorrow
> (Wednesday) nite as well.

I'm looking forward to getting on, this evening, as well as tomorrow.
However, I just checked the schedule, and MY San Antonio SPURS (the
reigning NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS) are playing in Atlanta, this evening.
I'll be on, after the game.  (starts at 6pm, local - should be over by
8~8:30.  Think I'll go to the neighborhood sports pub and watch it.  By
the time I get back, I won't -care- if I bother the neighbors toaster,
microwave, bedsprings, oven-grill, so-on, [_insert inferior-built
electronic device here_), so forth, etc, ad-naseum)
;-)

Of course, I'll be on the air somewhere Wednesday night, as well.

What am I thankful for?
I am thankful for "Today".

Today
(G.Edmonson)

Today, I was able to wake up, walk, talk and bitch about things I can
not change.
Today, I am too blessed to be stressed.

Everyday of Freedom, is a good day to Thank a Veteran.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,