[AMRadio] Old-Timer AMers?

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Nov 21 10:10:50 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Old-Timer AMers?

>> I definitely fit the profile the guy mentioned.  65, next birthday, and
>> 50 years with a license and really enjoy giving guys like him hell.
>>
>> Get the Viking going stock then modify if you need to.
>>
>> Congratulations Steve you have made it to the cellar where I live.
>>
>> Jim/W5JO
>
> Same here.  I turned 65 my last, and I am now in my 49th year as a
> licensed amateur.  I hope neither one of us will fall into that "couple of
> years" category, though.
>
> Ashtabula Bill got a chuckle about a decade ago when I told him about a
> couple of slopbuckets I overheard in conversation and one of them remarked
> "Ashtabula Bill hasn't died yet?".  Looks like they are still having a
> long wait.  When I work Bill, we still sometimes get a  laugh out of  that
> one. :-)
>
> 73,
>
> Don k4kyv

Im another of the old farts. Will be 67 on 12/13 and got my Novice 11/55.
However Ive also pushed the technology envelope having been on SSB (as well
as CW/AM) as far back as 58. And been part of the first ever ham EME team
down at Sam Harris'.

I got into AM again in the 1980-85 era with a 4-1000A and sold everything
only to get interested again recently. This time Im concentrating on the
30's and 40's.

I have modern gear for DX chasing right up to microwave, lots of homebrew
for 6M and above. Even a Cleg Zeus & Interceptor. Also a vintage SX-115,
HT-32A, NCL-2000 for when the spirit moves me for some mini contest.

However, I still wont use open wire line <BIG G>

Carl
KM1H