[AMRadio] Old-Timer AMers?

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:26:48 EST 2007

Phil LaMarche wrote:

> I've enjoyed reading the ages and license length.  I also fit that profile.
> 69 on December the 3rd and licensed for 59 years.  My radio shaped my life
> and many things I did and I love it every day.  Currently using a Collins
> 75A-1 and 32V-1 that are mint.  Next to it is a Collins R-388 hot rodded by
> Chuck Felton and a restored CE 200V for vintage AM.  How much fun is that?
>
> Thanks to everyone for a fun reflector.

Well, I don't *quite* fit that profile.  I'll make the 49 year mark, on
the 2nd of December.  However, I've been around radio all my life.  I
remember the days when rigs such as the Benton Harbor Kilowatt (DX-100),
a TC-7 (I think it was some sort of Collins rig) and a BC-610 were
around here at various stages of my life, growing up.

I didn't get my first ticket until Feb of 1984.  Feb of 2008 will start
my 24th year as a licensed ham.

I don't know why I waited so long to get a license.  I learned the code
back when I was 8 years old, as a cub-scout.  Dad and I built an AM
receiver out of a paper towel tube with copper wire wrapped around it, a
long metal bar to tune across the coil, a (new at the time) galena diode
and a pair of old cans, made out of hard plastic that hurt my ears to
put 'em on.  The whole thing was built on a couple of 1x6's, about 12"
long.  I couldn't get enough of WOAI from a radio set that didn't need
external power (batteries or AC) to operate, now matter HOW much those
ol' hard-plastic 'cans' hurt my ears!

I've been operating AM on the 250TH final since 1986, thanks to
John/W5MEU, Dan/W5BU (both SK) and John/WA5BXO.
Before the big-rig, there was a Ranger and an SX-28 and first off, on AM
was a loaner Swan 350C with some mighty weak sweep-tubes.

My novice rig was a hand-me-down from Dad.. National NCX-3.  I coupled
that with the Heathkit Cheyenne MR-1 as an external receiver because the
NCX-3 didn't have a CW 'offset'.  Tuning in a station at around the
800cycle area meant that I was zero-beat with the sender.  A T/R relay
helped out tremendously.

Ahh.. the good ol' days
(I can hear the ol' pharts now; "whipper snapper")
LOL

At least the tradition lives!

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,