[AMRadio] Re: Smoked turkey

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:50:16 EST 2007

A.R.S. - WA5AM wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 9:06 PM, Geoff/W5OMR <ars.w5omr at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 6) toss on 3 or 4 decent sized soaked mesquite logs, and put the turkey
>> on the non-fire side of the pit (under the smoke stack)
>>

> Mesquite for a Turkey?  Up here, we use hickory.  I have acres and
> acres of oak and hickory, but no scrubby mesquite.

Jimmy Dean says: "Son, don't use Oak, if Hickory is within driving distance"
Geoff/W5OMR says: "Don't use Hickory if Mesquite is within driving distance"

I used some hickory when I was in Missouri, back in May.  A work-friend
of mine 'raved' about my brisket I fixed here in San Antonio when he was
here... went up there, and tried to use Hickory and a pit about half the
size of mine.  It just didn't come out.

> I also have used a combo of pecan wood with the hickory.  Pecan gives
> it a very nice flavor.  I do agree on the amount of smoking.  Some
> folks think a turkey should be smoked to the point it's black.  Not
> good for many reasons.

No, of course not.  Carcinogens galore.  But, be careful with Pecan...
if it's still 'green', the sap that evaporates into the smoke that
permeates the meat will make you extremely sick.  Same can be said for
Huisache, (Wee-satch) regardless of if it's 'seasoned' or not!

> Now, when us Arkansas Hillbilly's grill possum and coon, we use
> anything we can find to make the fire, including motor oil (used),
> diesel, kerosene, and other unmentionables...  We would even consider
> mesquite if we had it.   Talk about a stiff smoke flavor, you would
> never know what you're eating.  I suggest a quart of pure and clear
> "shine" prior to supper, then a really good night of sleep by
> yourself.  I stress "by yourself"...
>
> They will also keep a good head of grease if you put 'em in a pot
> while you grill 'em, but you have to keep the motor oil (again,
> preferably used) going fast, and the fire real good and hot.  The
> grease and drippings make a fine dip for the meat, even though all you
> can taste is old used petroleum.  You get used to it before you know
> it with the "shine".

This education comes from your recent doctorate of Possumology?
http://w5ami.net/   ;-)

> With all that nonsense having been said;  I would like to wish one and
> all a very happy Thanksgiving, and thanks to all for being a part of
> the AMRadio Reflector!
>
> Vry 73 to ALL
>
> Brian / wa5am
> Backwoods, Arkansas

Of course, smoking Turkey's for Thanksgiving is a 20 year old
'tradition' for me.  It -always- involves AM Radio operation, as well.

What he said.  Same from me, to everyone else!

What am I thankful for?
I am thankful for "Today".

~~~~~~~~~~
Today
(G.Edmonson)

Today, I was able to wake up, walk, talk and bitch about things I can
not change.
Today, I am too blessed to be stressed.

Everyday of Freedom, is a good day to Thank a Veteran.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR