[AMRadio] Old-Timer AMers?

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 19:57:14 EST 2007

Ellen Rugowski wrote:
>> My novice rig was a hand-me-down from Dad.. National NCX-3.  I coupled
>> that with the Heathkit Cheyenne MR-1 as an external receiver because the
>> NCX-3 didn't have a CW 'offset'.  Tuning in a station at around the
>> 800cycle area meant that I was zero-beat with the sender.  A T/R relay
>> helped out tremendously.
> Ummm don't you mean an MR-1 Comanche Geoff? ;)  I briefly had a Cheyenne.
> It was the MT-1 transmitter companion to the MR-1 Comanche.

So corrected.  I knew it was one of the two.  There was the Comanche and
the Cheyenne.  One was the receiver and the other the screen modulated,
single 6146 final transmitter.  The Heathkit 'twins'.  Mobile radios.
Had both.  The cases were bolted together, one on top of the other.
Still have 'em, in fact.  Need to build up a power supply for the
receiver and see if it'll still come to life.  The pair have been
dormant for 20+ years.  In fact, I think it was when I get the Swan
350C, when I quit using the Comanche.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,