[AMRadio] AMers all "old-timers"?

Brett Gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 20:03:25 EST 2007

I dont own one.

There are a few AM guys in Jersey, and like most other places,
lots of guys who dont get on but are interested in AM and/or old tube stuff.

I have been active since about 1976, but only have a general ham ticket
and a general radiotelephone ticket.
I have been on almost continiously the whole time, but do very little
operating at night, and not a lot of operating in the summer.

My age is 49, which is fairly young for someone building
old  tube AM gear.
Not sure why some loose interest and dont get on, I have 2 friends
close that used to be quite big into the hobby, and both have done
nothing for the last 15 years, but still have piles of parts and rigs.

I think I am going to start hitting them up for some parts.

I have been thinking about the antenna and tuner setup, and one thing
I might do is build two antenna tuners, one for 80 and one for 40 meters,
and switch between them, instead of tuning one tuner back and forth when
changing bands.
I would like to go all balanced open wire line into balanced tuners, maybe
made with some KW plug in coils with the swinging link setup, they might
be able to hook me up with the parts.
I think I would also like to eventualy build another push pull 812a rig
modulated by 811a's, and they have the iron needed...

They sure are not doing anything with the stuff!

Brett
N2DTS