[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

Robert A. Poff wb3awj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 07:28:28 EST 2007

I think most of the anti-AM attitude is just the lowest common denominator
speaking.

To them Slop-bucket is the "standard" voice mode on HF.
So it follows that anything else is evil.

Some years ago I had a discussion with one of the locals who exhibits this
thinking.
His reasoning (like most of them) was that AM occupies too much bandwidth.
And of course we need to conserve spectrum.
So AM should be outlawed.

I countered by saying that on 2 meter CB there's not enough room for all the
FM repeaters.
Since ACSB occupies such little bandwidth you could put at least four
repeaters of that mode in
the same spectrum of one NBFM signal.
So they should out outlaw FM on 2 meters and everyone switch to ACSB.
(tongue firmly implanted in cheek)

His eloquent, well thought out response?
"But EVERYONE uses FM!"

Robert A. Poff
Chief Engineer
WSBA / WARM-FM / WSOX / WGLD
York, PA.

Email : wb3awj at comcast.net

"Lieutenant, target the offending power boat and launch photon torpedoes"