[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:09:15 EST 2007

Mike Sawyer wrote:
> Dave said
>
> This  perpetration of AM-SSB bashing has had a long running history of at
> least 40 years.  Let's face it,  this discussion has run its course and now
> it is time to end this "discussion" and move on - that is to those
> frequencies that all of us petitioned for below 3750 Khz.
>
>  Well Dave, if you don't like it, use your delete key! There are some of
> here willing to get to the root of the problem. It will not go away if we
> chose to ignore it. Besides, its healthy discussion.

As much as I want to agree with you, Mike (simply because it's Dave
;->) he's talking about ending the bickering and fighting amongst hams
in general, whether they're on the air, or not.  Also, I gotta disagree
that it's -not- healthy discussion.  After 40+ years there's -no-
discussion left.  It's just the perpetuation of an old argument that
doesn't seem to have a logical conclusion, for both sides.

Dave also makes a great point about AM'ers being just as guilty as
SSB'ers in knowingly cranking up an AM QSO on a frequency that's 2kc (or
less) away from an existing QSO (regardless of mode).

Just because (collectively) you say "Well, I've been operating AM right
here here on this spot, this frequency for 40 years, and ain't no one
gonna run me off..." how does that make us any better than those who
crank up a SSB QSO 2kc away from an existing AM QSO?

Bottom line is, we are -all- hams, and all hams, regardless of mode
-should- operate as gentleman (and ladies).

As AM'ers, if we want to operate without persecution then we shouldn't
be perpetuating the 40 year old 'kilocycle wars'.  It's time to -move-.

3.720 has been a good spot for some of the NorthEasterners... below 3700
is a great expanse, void of signals and I don't know of an AM operating
ham that doesn't have the wherewithal to upgrade to Extra class.  When
the band-warming party occurred (nearly a year ago), there were signals
of all kinds below 3700kc and there was a great QSO that happened on
3650kc.  Don's complaint (as valid as it is) is why isn't anyone else
down there, taking advantage of the 'wide open spaces'?

Tired of the back-biting and petty bickering?  MOVE!  QSY somewhere!

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR