[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams


David Knepper collinsradio at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 10:26:36 EST 2007


Thanks, Geoff for these wonderful thoughts.

I would love to operate below 3750 Khz but unfortunately habits are hard to 
break and I find myself back in the AM Window where there is activity.  I 
thought that more AM stations would have moved down the band but it appears 
that we are creatures of habit.  Perhaps, we are afraid of losing our 
window.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Dave, W3ST - W3CRA
Collins Radio Association
www.collinsra.com
Join the largest Collins group in the world
Nets on 7208 at 4:30 EDST every day and
Monday at 3805 at 8 PM EDST

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Geoff/W5OMR" <ars.w5omr at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" 
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams


> Mike Sawyer wrote:
>> Dave said
>>
>> This  perpetration of AM-SSB bashing has had a long running history of at
>> least 40 years.  Let's face it,  this discussion has run its course and 
>> now
>> it is time to end this "discussion" and move on - that is to those
>> frequencies that all of us petitioned for below 3750 Khz.
>>
>>  Well Dave, if you don't like it, use your delete key! There are some of 
>> here willing to get to the root of the problem. It will not go away if we 
>> chose to ignore it. Besides, its healthy discussion.
>>
>
> As much as I want to agree with you, Mike (simply because it's Dave  ;->) 
> he's talking about ending the bickering and fighting amongst hams in 
> general, whether they're on the air, or not.  Also, I gotta disagree that 
> it's -not- healthy discussion.  After 40+ years there's -no- discussion 
> left.  It's just the perpetuation of an old argument that doesn't seem to 
> have a logical conclusion, for both sides.
>
> Dave also makes a great point about AM'ers being just as guilty as SSB'ers 
> in knowingly cranking up an AM QSO on a frequency that's 2kc (or less) 
> away from an existing QSO (regardless of mode).
> Just because (collectively) you say "Well, I've been operating AM right 
> here here on this spot, this frequency for 40 years, and ain't no one 
> gonna run me off..." how does that make us any better than those who crank 
> up a SSB QSO 2kc away from an existing AM QSO?
>
> Bottom line is, we are -all- hams, and all hams, regardless of 
> mode -should- operate as gentleman (and ladies).
> As AM'ers, if we want to operate without persecution then we shouldn't be 
> perpetuating the 40 year old 'kilocycle wars'.  It's time to -move-.
>
> 3.720 has been a good spot for some of the NorthEasterners... below 3700 
> is a great expanse, void of signals and I don't know of an AM operating 
> ham that doesn't have the wherewithal to upgrade to Extra class.  When the 
> band-warming party occurred (nearly a year ago), there were signals of all 
> kinds below 3700kc and there was a great QSO that happened on 3650kc. 
> Don's complaint (as valid as it is) is why isn't anyone else down there, 
> taking advantage of the 'wide open spaces'?
>
> Tired of the back-biting and petty bickering?  MOVE!  QSY somewhere!
>
> -- 
> Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like driving your car at night, 
> without headlights. (K4KYV)
>
> 73 = Best Regards,
> -Geoff/W5OMR
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> the word unsubscribe in the message body. 



More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 18 Oct 2017.