[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

Ben Dover quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 22 10:36:34 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----

Agreed. I'm thinking it's just one aspect of the "Appliance Operator" syndrome;
if ya can't buy it at Amateur Electronics Supply, then it just ain't right.

>To them Slop-bucket is the "standard" voice mode on HF.
>So it follows that anything else is evil.

I've long been tempted to fire up an HF rig on the (still legal) NBFM, just
to see what reaction it would get. Let's use an innocuous signal that won't
stand out much...  like 500 watts on 3950 KHz!!!   ;o)

>Some years ago I had a discussion with one of the locals who exhibits this
>thinking.
>His reasoning (like most of them) was that AM occupies too much bandwidth.
>And of course we need to conserve spectrum.
>So AM should be outlawed.
>
>I countered by saying that on 2 meter CB there's not enough room for all the
>FM repeaters.
>Since ACSB occupies such little bandwidth you could put at least four
>repeaters of that mode in
>the same spectrum of one NBFM signal.
>So they should out outlaw FM on 2 meters and everyone switch to ACSB.
>(tongue firmly implanted in cheek)
>
>His eloquent, well thought out response?
>"But EVERYONE uses FM!"

ROTFLMFAO!!! Not too surprising, really.

ANY mode is an obsolete nuisance to SOMEBODY out there. Just wait until it's
YOUR pet ox that gets gored!!!

I wish I could still legally fire up my old rotary spark gap...    ;o)

Mr. T., W9LBB