[AMRadio] AMers all "old-timers"?

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:34:22 EST 2007

A.R.S. - WA5AM wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007 10:48 AM, Mike Sawyer <w3slk at hughes.net> wrote:
>
>> Me and KN0R, (now the fine call, KK4AM) got on 160M and ran NBFM at about
>> 1500watts. Naturally the slopbucketeers threw a fit. They tried to convince
>> us that FM was illegal down there. I kindly told them to check out what the
>> rules say and I just happened to have a copy of Part 97 that I recited to
>> him. By saying this I am admiting to using a riceburner. But it seldom gets
>> used;>)

An AM'er owning a ricebox isn't a sin, nor should it tarnish our image.
AM is just but -one- mode of our multi-faceted hobby, that let's us
build and operate our own equipment, with a maximum output of 1,500w
PEP, regardless of mode.

So, if you 'feel the need' to run as much power as possible, 1000w of
phase modulation is still detectable by diode detectors, doesn't
modulate the amplitude much and the 'big signal' will certainly quiet
down the background noise, provided the RF path is sustainable, and
still be legal.

I've always wanted to try a wide-band FM signal (and I mean 'wide', like
in the range of 250kC).  Most receivers wouldn't be able to even detect
the signal, and (I think) it would just make a little more white-noise
in background on most distant receivers.  Your neighbors up to 5 miles
away might not be too happy with it ;-)

Selective Fading surely screws up an FM signal, though...

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR