[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

A.R.S. - WA5AM ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:45:44 EST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 11:29 AM, W7CE <w7ce at curtiss.net> wrote:

> > Well said Geoff, and thanks.  It's like I told some folks on AM the
> > other day who are not happy with any AM'er that ALSO operates other
> > modes; it's not the mode that makes the man, but the man himself that
> > makes him a man.  True, there are a lot of sideband ops that have a
> > vitriol hatred for AM ops, but we all know it works the other way
> > around too.  None of this helps a damned thing in the hope this war
> > will ever end.
> >
> > 73
> > Brian / wa5am
>

> I operate AM, SSB, CW and plan to start digital operations for 6 & 2M EME.
> I enjoy every one of those modes.  While it is certainly true that there is
> a small portion of the SSB crowd that hates AM, it often appears that the
> majority of AM operators hate SSB even more (usually referred to as
> slopbucket by AM ops who apparently have not experienced the joy of a modern
> SSB rig with near-perfect frequency accuracy).  Personally, I don't
> understand why anyone would enjoy NASCAR, golf or football, but apparently
> I'm in the minority there.  I'm not going to waste my time critizing them
> for an interest that I don't share.  Enjoy your favorite modes of operation,
> but don't bash someone else just because they have have a different and/or
> possibly broader range of interests.
>
> For those who might question my loyalty to the AM mode, check out my website
> at www.w7ce.com  (I own a Johnson KW desk and three broadcast transmitters,
> and have traveled over 11,000 miles in the last four years on boat anchor
> roadtrips).

Great comments Clay!  I can't express how much I agree with your statements.

Don/KYV, has also pointed out some very important happenings that I
hear on a daily basis.  It is a no win situation if we, as AM ops,
mimic the few SSB ops that harass us, QRM us, or attempt to "own" a
frequency.  It is against the law to "knowingly" stomp on a QSO in
progress, regardless if it is AM or SSB, and regardless of where it
happens to be.

The problem with too many AM'ers is that they think they MUST stay in
the so called AM Window in order to operate AM!  Not so!  We are
letting this problem get the best of us, as if we have this need to
"protect" this 10kcs, or so of the band.  Let it the hell go!  Move
about anywhere "phone" is allowed, just mind a reasonable bandwidth,
be a gentleman and all will be good.  Ignore the hecklers....

Brian / wa5am