[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 22 13:34:11 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "W7CE" <w7ce at curtiss.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

> > Well said Geoff, and thanks.  It's like I told some folks on AM the
> > other day who are not happy with any AM'er that ALSO operates other
> > modes; it's not the mode that makes the man, but the man himself that
> > makes him a man.  True, there are a lot of sideband ops that have a
> > vitriol hatred for AM ops, but we all know it works the other way
> > around too.  None of this helps a damned thing in the hope this war
> > will ever end.
> >
> > 73
> > Brian / wa5am
>

> I operate AM, SSB, CW and plan to start digital operations for 6 & 2M EME.
> I enjoy every one of those modes.  While it is certainly true that there
is
> a small portion of the SSB crowd that hates AM, it often appears that the
> majority of AM operators hate SSB even more (usually referred to as
> slopbucket by AM ops who apparently have not experienced the joy of a
modern
> SSB rig with near-perfect frequency accuracy).  Personally, I don't
> understand why anyone would enjoy NASCAR, golf or football, but apparently
> I'm in the minority there.  I'm not going to waste my time critizing them
> for an interest that I don't share.  Enjoy your favorite modes of
operation,
> but don't bash someone else just because they have have a different and/or
> possibly broader range of interests.
>
> For those who might question my loyalty to the AM mode, check out my
website
> at www.w7ce.com  (I own a Johnson KW desk and three broadcast
transmitters,
> and have traveled over 11,000 miles in the last four years on boat anchor
> roadtrips).
>
> 73,
> Clay  W7CE

Brian & Clay,

I'm the same way.  I do VHF/UHF weak signal stuff.  I've dabbled in digital
(not my favorite mode, but it's like pickels are for me - I don't usually
want to eat one, but when I want to eat one, I REALLY want to).  I also do
CW, & SSB (although I prefer AM to SSB).  I'm not a mode snob.  It would be
boring if we all only like to eat vanilla ice cream, or operate only 1 radio
mode.

73,
Ellen - AF9J