[AMRadio] AMers all "old-timers"?

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 13:43:49 EST 2007

Robert Nickels wrote:
> Geoff/W5OMR wrote:
>>
>> An AM'er owning a ricebox isn't a sin, nor should it tarnish our
>> image.  AM is just but -one- mode of our multi-faceted hobby, that
>> let's us build and operate our own equipment, with a maximum output
>> of 1,500w PEP, regardless of mode.
>
> Without demeaning any of our fellow amateurs, I often think that the
> *ability* to understand and appreciate the difference between a
> homebrewed Hartley and a "ricebox" is one of the main things that
> differentiates us, and gives us pride in this niche of the hobby.
> And that is truly something to be thankful for.

Well... without getting into the whole 'dumbing-down of the hobby'
discussion (yet again) there is the ability to differentiate between
open-wire line and coax, and know that both of them could be called
'feed-lines'.
But, as someone pointed out earlier in this discussion, there are those
'hams' who think that if it can't be bought at HRO or AES, then what's
the point in having it?

Heh - I hear so many of the side-bang guys say "man, I ain't got time
for all that foolishness" when it comes to building something, but,
they'll certainly lay down a kBuck or two, for the latest Icom 756ProIII
or some such similar piece of equipment, go 'buy' some coax, and have
someone else solder the ends on for 'em, and then 'buy' a dipole
antenna, hire someone to install it for 'em, and then call themselves a
'ham' and -be- 65 (or better) retired, with nothing to do but talk on
the radio all day. (re: the "man, I ain't got time..." quote)

Makes ya skritch yer haid and say..
"Hmmmmmm..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What am I thankful for?
I am thankful for "Today".

Today
(G.Edmonson)

Today, I was able to wake up, walk, talk and bitch about things I can
not change.
Today, I am too blessed to be stressed.

Everyday of Freedom, is a good day to Thank a Veteran.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.
Gobble till ya Wobble! :-)

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,