Fw: [AMRadio] AMers all "old-timers"?

Mike Sawyer w3slk at hughes.net
Thu Nov 22 13:52:27 EST 2007

I was using a TS-940S and I don't remember what the settings were. I would
like to try it with something along the lines of a Central Electronics rig.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK

Hi Mike, was this in the late 80s or early 90s?  I remember listening to
somebody comment back then, that there was a group of hams that was doing FM
on 160.  BTW, if I remember right, you can only do FM (as NBFM), below 29.0
Mc, if the bandwidth isn't greater than the bandwidth of an AM signal, and
the modulation index isn't greater than 1. If I remember right, if your
ricebox was like my FT-897D I sold in July, the FM bandwidth was probably,
the standard bandwidth for 10m FM & above - 15 kc.  Did you change the
deviation of your rig to comply?  Only a very few rigs were made in the late
40s & early 50s to the NBFM, 6 kc standard - Collins made an NBFM adapter
for their rigs in the early 50s; the Hallicrafters HT-19 comes stock with
NBFM capability, and I think the Sonar Company made an NBFM exciter.  CQ
Magazine's, Radio Classics column talked about 6 kc NBFM in the July or
August issue.

73,
Ellen - AF9J