[AMRadio] AMers all "old-timers"?

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 22 14:18:06 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sawyer" <w3slk at hughes.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:52 PM
Subject: Fw: [AMRadio] AMers all "old-timers"?

> I was using a TS-940S and I don't remember what the settings were. I would
> like to try it with something along the lines of a Central Electronics
rig.
> Mod-U-Lator,
> Mike(y)
> W3SLK
>

> Hi Mike, was this in the late 80s or early 90s?  I remember listening to
> somebody comment back then, that there was a group of hams that was doing
FM
> on 160.  BTW, if I remember right, you can only do FM (as NBFM), below
29.0
> Mc, if the bandwidth isn't greater than the bandwidth of an AM signal, and
> the modulation index isn't greater than 1. If I remember right, if your
> ricebox was like my FT-897D I sold in July, the FM bandwidth was probably,
> the standard bandwidth for 10m FM & above - 15 kc.  Did you change the
> deviation of your rig to comply?  Only a very few rigs were made in the
late
> 40s & early 50s to the NBFM, 6 kc standard - Collins made an NBFM adapter
> for their rigs in the early 50s; the Hallicrafters HT-19 comes stock with
> NBFM capability, and I think the Sonar Company made an NBFM exciter.  CQ
> Magazine's, Radio Classics column talked about 6 kc NBFM in the July or
> August issue.
>
> 73,
> Ellen - AF9J

Hmmmm,

If you wired it like a CE, it it would run PM.  The CEs in PM (phase
mudulation - which while it's not the same as FM, can functionally be
treated as FM) did legal NBFM.  Still, if you ran it off of the FM mode
provision the 940 came with, it woul be 15 kc FM, which is a no-no below 29
MHz.

73,
Ellen - AF9J