[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

KX5KW ars.kx5kw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 15:01:23 EST 2007

  Unfortunately, this is too common.  I recently heard two of the AM
regulars in TX on 3880 switch to lsb while one was diagnosing a
phasing audio issue.  (Probably a CE rig)  Their discussion was
technically very interesting.  After about 5 minutes, another AM
regular started calling cq on AM, on top of the first two, while
complaining about AM'ers being on ssb "in the window".  Another AM
regular joined in on the "complaint".

  The two guys working on the audio problem switched back to AM and
one of them apologized for their transgression.  The other left.  The
conversation then went to on what they were eating and had done that
day.  :/

  I'm sorry.  Trying to impose this "AM only in window, SSB only
outside the window" on others is arrogant and misguided.  Like others
have said, use common sense and courtesy.  Be aware of our
transmitted bandwidth in relation to *existing* qso's around us.  Use
all the band resources we have available or the FCC may someday agree
with those who dislike AM, that we don't really need them.

  I've really been enjoying working folks down south on 3705, N.E. on
3715, 3725 and everywhere else lately.  Seems like the activity is
picking up again after the rush of the band expansion.

  Looking forward to hearing more signals there as the band quiets
down this winter.

---

  Thanks to all the men and women who were killed. maimed, lost family
members and friends and made untold sacrifices for the Freedom and
prosperity we enjoy today.

73' & Happy Thanksgiving,
Kent/KX5KW