[AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Nov 22 20:18:37 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ellen Rugowski" <ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

Tropo isnt necessary to work 70 miles with low power; you are still in the
extended groundwave region.

I can work 5-10 watt AM stations any evening at that range as long as they
have an antenna in the clear. A simple 3 el yagi on the roof will do it,
dirt simple to build.

The hardest part with those old radios is marginal receivers. Give them a
few new tubes and an alignment. Also be sure that you are actually on 50.4
or whatever the locals have designated. Its also easy to build/buy a RF
actuated SS preamp which will really wake up those radios.

Carl
KM1H