[AMRadio] Getting on the Air

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 23 10:48:21 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff/W5OMR" <ars.w5omr at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Getting on the Air

> I'm thinking that 15m is kinda like 10m.  The band is open a lot more
> than you think, but because everyone is 'listening' for signals, and not
> putting one on the air, everyone starts to think the band is dead.

Very true about 15m.  And the neat thing about 15m - the AM hangout of above
21.400 (with the 21.425 MHz AM calling freq.) is an area of the band that
doesn't get a ton of use, so you don't have to deal with the QRM problems
you get from groups like the Macaroni Net on 75m. Even during contests, most
Contesters stay below 21.400.  Also, the QRN is lower too.  The only problem
you might have, is decreased sensitivity in some of the older receivers.

> > Ellen - AF9J
> > Thawing out from spending an hour walking home after dropping of her
coar
> > for some service - it's 20 degress out there, with a 15 mile per hour
wind!

> Be careful out there, Ellen.  You gonna freeze your ...earlobes... off!
>
> Gonna have to get some one from the Wisconsin State police to go around
> looking for earlobes with hoop ear-rings through 'em
>
>  ;-)

Ahhh, that's nothing!  Later in the winter, 20 degrees will seem downright
balmy!  Especially if we get as cold was we did last Feruary - 15 Below!
I'm just not used to it yet.  And, Novemeber was warmer than normal for us.
One good thing about the cold weather, it sure cuts down on the noise.  The
powerlines may arc for a couple of days during a cold snap, but once they
settle down, it's nice and quiet.

73,
Ellen - AF9J