[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Equipment

Mike Sawyer w3slk at hughes.net
Sat Nov 24 13:50:26 EST 2007

I'm all for places like that, Geoff. Like you stated, they're the exception
and not the rule. I just came back from my local parts jobber, (I like that
title). They are a strange anarchism from the '50's and their store hasn't
changed much since then. One fellow at the counter, (yeah, counter service),
questioned me about the 33uFd @450 VDC cap I had purchased being ~$6 and
said he could look in the back to find something cheaper. Here's their
website: http://www.moyerelectronics.com/ The owner, Bill Moyer has standing
orders that should a broadcast station go off the air due to equipment
failure, they are to contact him at home, regardless of hour, (even 3AM),
and he will open up the store to get them back on the air. That's the kind
of business they are and have been successful at it for almost 60 years.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK

Apparently not in Derby, KS (near Wichita).

http://hamradiocentral.biz is the website for the store, that is -also-
a Radio Shack affiliate.

I don't get anything from sending someone to their site, but you should
go, just to stop the 'stereotypical' bashing of Radio Shack.

Don't get me wrong - I -know- this is an 'isolated incident', where they
actually might know -something- and give you an answer (which is more
than a blank stare.)
When you go in asking THESE guys for a 10uF cap @ 450vdc, they might
actually know -something- about the part, and they -certainly- know
about HF!

Fuzzy/W5FZN (long time sk) said
"ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances!"

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR