[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Equipment

Larry Szendrei ne1s at neandertech.com
Sat Nov 24 15:21:01 EST 2007

Geoff/W5OMR wrote:
> Mike Sawyer wrote:
>> Radio Shack....... You got questions, we've got blank stares....;>)
>>

> Apparently not in Derby, KS (near Wichita).
> http://hamradiocentral.biz is the website for the store, that is -also-
> a Radio Shack affiliate.
>
> I don't get anything from sending someone to their site, but you should
> go, just to stop the 'stereotypical' bashing of Radio Shack.
>
> Don't get me wrong - I -know- this is an 'isolated incident', where they
> actually might know -something- and give you an answer (which is more
> than a blank stare.)

We've got a Radio Shack store over in the next town (Windham, ME) that
is quite unusual in that the franchise owner is an old radio collector
of sorts. There is a corner of the store dedicated to old radios for
sale (mostly consumer sets and consoles from the 30s through the 70s),
most priced "as-is." I bought a tube-type Emerson portable from him some
years ago - it's the same model as the first radio I ever called my own
(at the tender age of 5 or 6), which my grandfather and I pulled out of
the trash, and he got going for me. Unfortunately, that first set was
given away a few years later, but it's replacement is in much better
condition, anyway (5-6 year olds are tough on sets with plastic
cabinets). But I digress.

This Radio Shack store also has a HUGE collection of used vinyl for sale.

73,
-Larry/NE1S