[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Equipment

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 24 16:24:14 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Szendrei" <ne1s at neandertech.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Boat Anchor Equipment

> Geoff/W5OMR wrote:
> > Mike Sawyer wrote:
> >> Radio Shack....... You got questions, we've got blank stares....;>)
> >>

> > Apparently not in Derby, KS (near Wichita).
> > http://hamradiocentral.biz is the website for the store, that is -also-
> > a Radio Shack affiliate.
> >
> > I don't get anything from sending someone to their site, but you should
> > go, just to stop the 'stereotypical' bashing of Radio Shack.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong - I -know- this is an 'isolated incident', where they
> > actually might know -something- and give you an answer (which is more
> > than a blank stare.)
>
> We've got a Radio Shack store over in the next town (Windham, ME) that
> is quite unusual in that the franchise owner is an old radio collector
> of sorts. There is a corner of the store dedicated to old radios for
> sale (mostly consumer sets and consoles from the 30s through the 70s),
> most priced "as-is." I bought a tube-type Emerson portable from him some
> years ago - it's the same model as the first radio I ever called my own
> (at the tender age of 5 or 6), which my grandfather and I pulled out of
> the trash, and he got going for me. Unfortunately, that first set was
> given away a few years later, but it's replacement is in much better
> condition, anyway (5-6 year olds are tough on sets with plastic
> cabinets). But I digress.
>
> This Radio Shack store also has a HUGE collection of used vinyl for sale.
>
> 73,
> -Larry/NE1S

I still say these are the exceptions to the rule.  Of the several Radio
Shacks I've been to in the Milwaukee Metro Area in the last few years, none
of them really had much radio related stuff other than CBs, and a few
general parts they calssified as Ham Radio.  The past year or so, they seem
to have emphasized Cell Phones & Dish Network TV.  They also seem to be
mostly run by 20 & 30-somethings (with a few 40-somethings thrown in for
good measure), for whom Amateur Radio holds no meaning.

Ellen - AF9J