[AMRadio] IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 21:15:38 EST 2007

I challenge several points made by WD5BZO in the MP3 recording of a net
transmission...

>The ARRL rep says the IARU region 2 bandplan is not meant for US hams
-

Why not?  The USA is in Region 2.  Radio signals don't stop at national
borders - that's why a *regional* plan would be developed in the first
place.  And can't we participate in the changing of the bandplan for
our region if it includes other countries?  Hams in other countries
aren't to be allowed to run all the modes we do in the United States?
Seems kooky to me...

>To get a voice that will be heard by the League, become a member -

As far as I've been able to determine, no effort was made to get any
input from anyone, members or non-members, before the ARRL and IARU
developed and voted upon the bandplan changes.  And after we discovered
it had happened, member feedback on this topic has been thoroughly
rejected, with significant attitude on the part of ARRL officials and
Directors.   I am a long-time member of the ARRL, and my respectful and
gentlely-expressed opinions on the bandplan have been ignored,
insulted, attacked, scorned, belittled, and pooh-poohed.  It would
appear that *I* do not have even a tiny voice in this matter - can any
other League members report better results?

> The ARRL VP is not willing to get in the middle of a debate

Why the heck not?  Wouldn't that be a way to discuss it with members
and other amateurs?  Sounds like he does not feel he has any need to
speak with us about it after all.

>WA3VJB has put out a lot of misinformation

Everything I've seen Paul write on this subject has matched my
*personal* experience on this issue.   I am not relying just upon
discussions on mailing lists and web-forums - I've based my views on
the responses I have received directly from ARRL and IARU officials.
Can you specify the "mis-information" that is claimed?   I'm not seeing
it...

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com