[AMRadio] WA9ZTY

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 25 12:22:34 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "JACK C. SHUTT" <w9gt at verizon.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] WA9ZTY

> Hi Brian,
>
>   Yes, Rob is a fine fellow who hosts the Midwest Classic Radio Net on
3885 on Saturday mornings.  He is is in Marshall, Wisconsin.  Yes, the QRM
goes both ways this time of year.  When seasonal conditions improve,
unfortunately we can hear each other regularly on the popular frequencies,
so it becomes a challenge to conduct more local communications without
QRMing someone half-way across the country.   The solution is
obvious....spread out.  I realize that moving is somewhat more of an
inconvenience for those who may be xtal-controlled.  It is also sometimes a
problem with the old boatanchor stuff, with some ops having difficulty
accurately zeroing each other and consequently occupying a broader range of
frequencies in one QSO.

>   Talk about problems with QRM......we are constantly battling the SSB
"Buzzard Net" on 3888 and other groups of slopbucket nimrods on 3884 and
3878.  They essentially pretend not to hear AM operations already on or near
the frequency.  Oh well...seems that it goes with the territory...sure is
clearer down the band, but it is difficult getting everyone to spread out
and get out of the so-called "ghetto".  We are creatures of habit...and we
really enjoy congregating around frequencies where we know other AMers
probably will be listening.

>   73,  Jack, W9GT
>
> "A.R.S. - WA5AM" <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:
>   I wonder if anyone on the list knows WA9ZTY. I was going to email
> him, however I can not find any email or phone number for him.
>
> He is part of a group that meets just above 3890 in the mornings,
> however I can not figure out exactly what frequency they think they
> are operating on since they are spread out from 3889 to 3892.5+.
> There is a group in my area that meets each morning on 3890, and at
> times these fellow AM'ers in 9 land really hit us hard when they are
> operating in such a wide area. I'd really like to see if they
> wouldn't mind trying to get close to one another so at least our notch
> filters will work as intended, etc. They really don't seem to be
> minding what frequency they transmit on. Don't get me wrong, a few
> hundred cycles doesn't bother me one bit, but when one group operates
> in an area of nearly 4kcs consistently each morning, it becomes very
> annoying for us.
>
> If anyone knows how to get in touch with these fellows, I would
> appreciate if you would politely ask them if they could zero beat one
> another. If you prefer, send me the contact info, and I will talk
> with them. I'm sure we can work something out.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Brian / wa5am
>

> --
> "Money is only temporary, radios are forever" - Jim Little aka "the
> old dawg"/K5BAI

I agree with Jack.  I also check into the Midwest Classic Net (although
lately, with rig problems, I've been QRTfrom it).  It's a very popular net,
and I got my Viking II via this net.  It starts at 7:30AM CST.  There are
enough check-ins that it oftentimes doesn't even get to general (no-traffic,
no "wanted to buy', or  no "for sale" traffic) until after 8:30 AM.  Rob is
a good NCS.  When he's unable to take the net, Rodger, WQ9E will be NCS with
his Viking 500 or Desk kW. Rodger took the net yesterday, and told me in an
e-mail that there were some QRM issues.

73,
Ellen - AF9J