[AMRadio] IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Nov 25 14:45:51 EST 2007

> From: sbjohnston at aol.com

>>The ARRL rep says the IARU region 2 bandplan is not meant for US hams
> -
>
> Why not?  The USA is in Region 2.  Radio signals don't stop at national
> borders - that's why a *regional* plan would be developed in the first
> place.  And can't we participate in the changing of the bandplan for
> our region if it includes other countries?  Hams in other countries
> aren't to be allowed to run all the modes we do in the United States?

AM operation is not confined to the USA or even to the USA and Canada.  I
have worked numerous AM stations in the Caribbean, and have heard Cuban AM
signals on 160 many times, even though they have always been too weak for me
to successfully work.  If AM is to remain a mainstream  facet of amateur
radio, we don't want it to become a US-only activity for several reasons.
There is quite a bit of interest in AM in Europe and Australia at present,
so why not Central and South America?

The more world-wide interest there is in the mode, the more the likelihood
that the manufacturers will continue to include AM capability on the
store-bought transceivers that are sold worldwide.  Worldwide AM capability
means more international interest in the mode.  More than just a few
present-day AM'ers got their interest sparked when they tried out a
transceiver on AM, and some of these hams have managed to generate excellent
signals on the air using transceivers, equipped with high quality
microphones and maybe some type of audio processing,  working into linears.
Others have actually opened the covers of their transceivers and made
MODIFICATIONS (gasp!) to improve the quality of their AM signals.  Others
have since acquired or built plate modulated tube type rigs or gone the
solid state class-E  route.

If AM is limited to a  relatively small group of US hams while the rest of
the world goes the way of regulation-by-bandwidth and exclusion of AM, and
if AM capability disappears from the popular radios sold worldwide, it will
just be a matter of time until we see international pressure to follow suit
in the USA.

This is just one of the reasons why the proposition that the IARU bandplan
is not meant for US hams, that it will have no effect on what we are allowed
do under Part 97, and that it is strictly voluntary and therefore US hams
are under no obligation to conform to its recommendations,  is a bogus
argument.

Don k4kyv