[AMRadio] IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Nov 26 11:00:50 EST 2007

> The B/C committee of Region 2 was chartered with developing the revised
> Region 2 band plan based on the structure and fill of the existing Region
> 1 band plan with "regional and frequency" differences taken into
> account". Since the voluntary Region 1 band plan has been in existence
> since January 2006, what rules are the amateurs in these countries
> covered by Region 1 following. We know that a number of U. S. amateurs
> have worked European stations on 75 over the last several months. Are the
> European amateurs actually limiting their AM bandwidth to 2700 Hz.
>
> Pete, wa2cwa

No.  But the Region 1 band plan carries the following "preferred mode and
usage note":

"All modes - CW, SSB and those modes listed as Centres of Activity, plus AM
(Consideration should be given to adjacent channel users)."

This appears to grant an exception to the 2700Hz bandwidth provision, since
that is too narrow for DSB AM to operate, and the statement regarding
"consideration of adjacent channel users" implies that AM signals would be
expected to occupy more than the standard 2700 Hz bandwidth.

Not that it's desirable for AM to be reduced to a footnote that grants
non-compliance in the form of a special case exception, but the Region 2
plan doesn't even contain that.  Instead, AM is relegated to 40m plus a few
narrow "windows" in 75m, 20m and 10m, but no AM operation at all is
recommended on 160m, 15m, 17m or 12m.

Don k4kyv