[AMRadio] IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

David Knepper collinsradio at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 06:04:30 EST 2007

Progress in any form or manner is an attempt to move forward not backward.
This entire discussion reminds me of the dialogue that still continues in my
region, that is, the whimsical view that the coal and steel industry will
once again return.    The only threat to our hobby, as I see it, is our
propensity to live in the past.  Let's face it those who have designed and
built Class E AM transmitters are to be applauded for moving forward or
likewise, those of us who make every attempt to get on the air to populate
the radio spectrum with our boatanchor AM equipment rather than sit on the
sidelines reminiscing about what was and never will be again.  Making our
presence known does make a political statement that AM is not dead and
should be viewed by the ARRL as an alternative form of communications.
Where did that effort go by a few to petition the ARRL to have a separate
column in QST?  Perhaps, it is time now to fire off some email to the League
to do so.

By the time all of this deregulation or whatever you call it gets sorted
out, AM operation will continue to flourish.  I believe that one positive
note to our hobby is the proliferation of AM operators who are using
low-level modulation with their " rice boxes."  I was talking to a ham
yesterday on 75 meters who was using a DX-40 with a Collins 30L-1 - did he
ever sound great.

I would encourage all of us to get on the air more often rather than
modulating our keyboards.

Thank you

Dave, W3ST - W3CRA
Collins Radio Association