[AMRadio] IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 09:50:08 EST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 6:04 AM, David Knepper <collinsradio at comcast.net> wrote:
> Progress in any form or manner is an attempt to move forward not backward.
> This entire discussion reminds me of the dialogue that still continues in my
> region, that is, the whimsical view that the coal and steel industry will
> once again return.

Is progress for the sake of progress, not actual improvement, any less
whimsical? For the sake of some false sense of security that 'we made
it better by changing it'? Everybody's doing it, so we need to keep up
with the rest of the world even if it's a bad idea, 'not broken',
etc...

>  Let's face it those who have designed and
> built Class E AM transmitters are to be applauded for moving forward

Last time I checked, Class E AM transmitters produced the same carrier
same 'wide, wasteful signals' as old gear, and can't be told from the
latter on the receiving end. While I also applaud the new approach to
the old mode, I'm not sure you can call that progress, or at least
feel safe that the ARRL or FCC would agree.

> Making our
> presence known does make a political statement that AM is not dead and
> should be viewed by the ARRL as an alternative form of communications.

Many, MANY folks have been pushing this position for years, even
decades. The ARRL doesn't want to acknowledge it, that's what this
discussion is really about. An organization that claims to represent
all of amateur radio for US hams, yet clearly doesn't, hasn't, and by
their own failed initiatives to restrict bandwidth, clearly chooses
not to put AM on par with other modes.

> By the time all of this deregulation or whatever you call it gets sorted
> out, AM operation will continue to flourish.

AM continues to flourish thanks to the amateurs themselves, and groups
like this reflector, AMfone, Electric Radio and so on. The ARRL,
despite ample opportunities, chooses to ignore and find ways to get
rid of AM.  John Dilks has provided an excellent column in QST for a
number of years now for the 'old radio' crowd. QST has also catered
enormously to the contesters. I'd encourage you to persuade them to
allow a column promoting AM building and operation. That sure would
look good on your resume, Dave.

> I would encourage all of us to get on the air more often rather than
> modulating our keyboards.

A worthy notion promoted by a number of us online. Imagine the
activity if only half the participants in these threads got on the air
regularly. I'd guess maybe 20-25% is closer to reality, on a good day.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ