[AMRadio] ARRL Great Lakes Director on IARU Bandplan

Warren Elly w1gud at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 11:47:04 EST 2007

Mr Johnson...

	Many thanks for your reply, the first the AM community has received
one that was both civil and credible. I believe that some of your
fellow directors ought to be ashamed of themselves, and I hope you
have seen some of their correspondence directed to us. Its very
disappointing, and has only served to reinforce the view that many of
us have formed of the league through a lifetime of disappointment on a
range of issues from incentive licensing, to bpl, to code
requirements, to PRB-1, to bandwidth issues. I think you misjudge and
under estimate what you call a "small flurry of concern by some AM
colleagues". Considering the current state of the hobby, the number of
new licensees, and the fact that the great majority of us are aging
and that a significant number of us collect and restore old gear, the
league needs to turn this AM issue into a wake up call.
	Most of us are long-time amateurs, who've been league members nearly
all our lives. I signed up at age 12, three years before I got my
novice ticket. I've been licensed now over 40 years, and have operated
AM continuously in one way or another over those years. I remain
convinced that the league would outlaw our part of the hobby if it
could. I only maintain my membership so that I can have a voice and
won't be dismissed as an "outsider". I think its sad that looking back
at the issues over the years, I can't think of a single issue that
left me feeling like the league was on my side as an amateur.
	I think most of us would have felt much better if our arrl
representatives at the IARU conference were a bit more informed, and
put their intentions in voting for this proposal on the record. I
think we also have our doubts that there was not, in fact, some plan
to use the IARU issue as a leg up to move closer to outlawing AM in
the US. Mr. Rinaldo's role remains of interest, and is most suspect.
	As for the CQ editors path towards "bad journalism", as a journalist
all my life, I must caution you that these things happen when one is
unable to get the "whole" story. If the league was more forthcoming,
and spoke with clarity and transparency, these things would not
happen. Its a shame that no logical, thinking person could avoid the
same conclusions CQ reached, based on the "facts" at hand. What else
are we to think?
	Again, thank you for your frankness and willingness to address the AM/
Vintage radio community. I wish some of your candor would rub off on
the rest. But I'd also urge you to weigh again the importance of a
vital, active community in amateur radio that's much more than " small
flurry" in the big picture.

73,

Warren Elly W1GUD
Tampa, Florida