[AMRadio] IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Tue Nov 27 14:00:02 EST 2007

My responses follow the ***

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:50:08 -0500 "Todd, KA1KAQ" <ka1kaq at gmail.com>
writes:
You said: Making our presence known does make a political statement that
AM is not dead and should be viewed by the ARRL as an alternative form of
 communications.

*** AM is a recognized mode just like any other mode that the FCC
authorizes us to use. It is not an "alternative form of communications"

You said: " Many, MANY folks have been pushing this position for years,
even decades. The ARRL doesn't want to acknowledge it, that's what this
discussion is really about. An organization that claims to  represent all
of amateur radio for US hams, yet clearly doesn't, hasn't, and  by their
own failed initiatives to restrict bandwidth, clearly chooses not to put
AM on par with other modes."

*** The ARRL has recognized AM for years as still a "valid" mode of
operation. Several years ago we petitioned them to change their WAS award
from "SSB award" to "Phone" award and provide a special acknowledgement
if it was done in AM. We have our own "AM Page" on the ARRL web site.
Have you ever see the a SSB page or a CW page there? They have a vintage
AM station in operation. As far as bandwidth regulation proposal, the
ARRL made no distinction as to shortchanging any mode. All modes received
a bandwidth max (AM being 9 KHz).

> You said: "The ARRL, despite ample opportunities, chooses to ignore and
find ways to get rid of AM."

*** You might site all these "ways" they are trying to get rid of AM.

*** Pete, wa2cwa