[AMRadio] IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Nov 28 19:29:38 EST 2007

> From: "Todd, KA1KAQ" <ka1kaq at gmail.com>

> Lack of support for the power issue...

Let's give ARRL credit where credit is due.  They did support us on the
power issue.  I spoke with Dave Sumner personally in the issue while the
proceeding was still pending and he pretty well agreed with me.  After
receiving a lot of mail from the AM community, the Board of Directors voted
to petition the FCC to eliminate the 1990 "sunset" clause and permanently
grandfather the old DC input power limit for AM.

The fly in the ointment was John Johnston, Chief of the Personal Radio
Branch of the FCC's Private Radio Bureau. Johnston, a self-proclaimed
"career civil servant" was a real pro at spin, deception and dodging the
issue when confronted in any way regarding his agenda.  One of Johnston's
ham radio buddies from Texas, a bloke named Prechtl with a 5th district
callsign, had petitioned the FCC several years earlier to eliminate AM,
apparently in response to a "frequency ownership" dispute with a late-night
AM group that met regularly on 7160 kHz. Prechtl originally held a 3rd
district callsign from near Washington DC, and Johnston publicly referred to
him on a first name basis.  Johnston remained head of the amateur radio
rulemaking division of the FCC, which went through several name changes each
time the FCC "restructured", for over 25 years, and throughout that period
had consistently shown bias against AM.

At the Dayton FCC Forum that year, Johnston gave a speech about how the
amateur community was using their word processors to waste the FCC's time
with a flood of superfluous petitions.  As an example, he used the AM power
issue.  His words, to the best of my recollection went something like this:
"Here we have two petitions regarding amplitude modulation.  One from the
ARRL, wants to CHANGE THE RULES so that AM CAN RUN TWICE AS MUCH POWER AS
EVERYBODY ELSE.  Then we have another one from (Prechtl) who wants to
eliminate AM altogether."  His deceptive tactic was to imply that the FCC
would take the "sensible" approach and dismiss both petitions (which they
did).  The Commission had set on that petition for over two years without
taking any action, but as soon as they found it convenient, it suddenly
appeared with an RM- number along side the ARRL's.

Don k4kyv