[AMRadio] Re: IARU - VP ARRL contact by WD5BZO

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:35:43 EST 2007

Bob Peters wrote:
> Don...Did you forget us guys in the 50's  that had Extra
> Class Freq's as Generals and that we got sold down the
> river With Incentive Licensing????
> You talk about not getting kissed. All of a sudden we
> were looking at a 20WPM test...Just to gain back what
> we had!!! Took me till late 80's to get there...

Don was talking about AM Specific issues.

But, my Dad fell in that category.  He held a Class A license, back when
there were such things.  He never knew that the bottom 25kc of 40m was
no longer available to him. (He had gotten off of HF for 10 years, back
from the early to mid 60's till the mid 70's.)

Along about the late 70's, he was working some CW down around 7.020 or
so, and at one point (as the story goes) the other operator told Dad "I
hope you're enjoying your Novice Ticket".

Dad didn't figure out what that meant, until he got a notice from an OO,
that said he was out of his frequency range, for his class license.

He looked up the current rules, and sure enough, there it was... Dad was
an Advanced Class license holder, and not an 'Extra'.

He bitched about that for a year, or better.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR