[AMRadio] Rinaldo's IARU bandwidth suggestion

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 23:38:05 EST 2007

You know, looking back over the responses I've received from ARRL directors
and officials, not one of them ever really addressed my contention that this
sort of "restrictive", negative bandplan is not a good idea. They concentrated
on the benefits of other, positive bandplans, those which enable a wide variety
of modes to flourish.  But this IARU Region 2 plan cuts out existing modes
and will make it harder for some future modes to be developed.

There's a parallel in another regulatory area that impacts ham radio:  zoning
and restrictive covenants.  These regs and agreements can either be positive,
protecting freedom of land use, within wide limits, and ensuring that we can
erect antennas and set up stations... or they can be negative, tightly
controlling and limiting, blocking antennas and stations.  I think you know which
kind is better for ham radio ops.  And the same is true for bandplans.

Steve WD8DAS