[AMRadio] direction of the list (WAS: Rinaldo's bandwidth

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 02:09:45 EST 2007

Jim Wilhite wrote:
> Larry, as Brian said no one I know stopped the topic.  As one of the
> other moderators, I did not.  I know you post pertinent topics from
> time to time and contribute to the group in a positive way.  I, too,
> hope you reconsider leaving.
>
> To everyone else, I suggest that if any meaning outside the subject
> line is added anywhere in the post, then change the subject line to
> reflect that change so those of us who do not wish to read a topic
> will know. In that way, one can delete topics they do not wish to
> read.  If you wish to post to a topic and comment about something
> else, please make it two separate posts.  Maybe that will help.
>
> Jim/W5JO
> Moderator

(I Sent a copy direct to Larry, as well, just in case I missed his
departure.)

What hurts a subject line most, is when someone replies to the subject
at hand, doesn't quote the previous poster, AND changes the subject.
that's where things get confusing.
I absolutely HATE it when Paul/VJB does that.  If you've got your mail
client setup to be a thread-reader, you can't follow the thread, because
the subject line gets changed.

I, for one, am sorry to see you go, Larry, but I understand your
frustration.  Still, there's two basic rules to every list, moderated or
not;
1) Don't be excessively annoying (a line I tend to straddle from time to
time ;->)
2) don't be easily annoyed.

See?  It works both ways.

Every time I try to tell someone something technical, I get told 'no,
that can't be'.  When I try to give proof, and links, they're not even
looked at.  So, what's the point?  No one wants to talk about building.
No one seems to care about the academics required to calculate what's
needed for a circuit, or the overall operating procedure of our mode.
Some of us seem to only want to talk about where their next Broadcast
rig is coming from so it can be converted to Ham Bands.  That's fine.
But, for the amount of time and effort there is in doing that, a
separate final and modulator deck could be built, using the same
components and power supplies and then the thing would be better suited
(probably) for the Ham bands.  I see eyebrows raised, out there.  Yes,
we -are- Amateur operators.  Broadcast rigs are run by professionals, on
commercial frequencies designed to run on -those- frequencies.
Revamping the entire final tank circuit is what's needed to move the rig
to the ham bands (in most cases).

Or, others are talking about restoring their precious
(_insert_commercial_manufacturer_here) rig.  Collecting old rigs isn't a
bad thing.  It helps keep some of the older equipment on the air.  But,
it's not the -only- thing.  Ham Radio was built on individuals having
the knowledge of knowing how to 'make it work'.  Nowadays, people want
step-by-step instructions.  Shoot, half the fun is learning.  The other
part of 'fun', follows as pride, I reckon, in knowing that you're
actually transmitting a signal on a piece of machinery that YOU built,
and are operating!

For me, it's Brett/N2DTS, John/WA5BXO (who's also disgusted with the
whole thing) Don/K4KYV and Bacon/WA3WDR who are the technical marvels of
the group.  I'm probably leaving someone out, and I'll get kick in the
rear for it, later... but them guys are tops.

Non-list-active heros are Otis/K5SWK and Perry/W5KGZ.

Like Brett said "Who's building what?"

I've still got parts and pieces and enough 4-65's, 4-125's and even a
single 4-250 to build -something-.  I just need to get rid of a -lot- of
stuff in my shack that I DON'T (or wont) need so I can get busy working
on -something-.  What I need more of is 'time'.

At the same time we, as a community, have -other- similar interests and
other hobbies... RC flying of model planes, watching Sports (GO
COWBOYS!) or talking about April 1st articles in QST.  I guess not
everyone reads every single message that comes through here.  While the
Beer Can antenna might not have been an April Fool's article, it -was-
written at a time when the cans were made of a much different materials
than they are now.  They would -take- soldering-to, then.  But, it seems
that fact has been glossed over by many people and there are still those
who will direct animosity at someone else, because of their own
mis-understandings.  I just don't get the attitude of "because I'm
behind this Keyboard, I'm 10ft tall and Bullet Proof!"  It seems to me
to be pretty much similar to being behind a CB microphone, hiding behind
a 'handle' and picking a fight with someone else, just because you're
'anonymous'.  We are Hams.  We are better than that.  We need to
remember that, and to re-learn to treat our other list occupants (ergo,
other AM operators) with more kindness and respect.

There certainly -has- been a lot of name-calling, finger-jabbing and
back-biting going on, lately.  It doesn't look good, as a reflection on
-us-.  Sometimes, we rationalize it as 'replying-in-kind', which
basically boils down to "(s)he started it!"

Surely, we're better than THAT!  (aren't we?)

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR