[AMRadio] Resonant Choke for HV PS

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Mon Oct 1 00:54:14 EDT 2007

W5OMR
I recognize my dribble there, to update it, Carl Sievers of SNC retired few years ago, and passed away. He was a great transformer engineer.
For the fellow trying to build one, its not so important that the bleeder R be chosen to keep constant current through the choke throughout the rectification cycle, if you use a resonant choke. The whole point there is design a choke which has a very high impedance at the ripple frequency, as a big L would. Once you reach the critical inductance, for a given bleeder current, you don't need to go futher. Any old ARRL handbook or other text on power supplies covers that. Having a very high impedance (as the parallel LC would be at resonance or near so) means the bleeded current can be much much smaller. If you design this power supply for an amplifier which always has idling current of some minimum value, then theoretically no bleeder is needed, except to discharge the caps when it is switched off.

73
John
K5PRO