[AMRadio] RE: Contest signal reports

w9gt at comcast.net w9gt at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 07:02:45 EDT 2007

The reason for the signal report requirement is simple, while it might seem redundant, unnecessary or just a distortion of reality when everyone is 5-9 or 599.  The measure or definition of the minimum requirement for a valid 2-way contact has always been the exchange of callsigns and signal reports.  If you couldn't get the guy's call and a two or three digit report correct, you didn't work him.  This is the standard that is generally recognized by contesters and dxers alike and the definer of the validity of contacts to be applied to confirmations for award requirements.   I am not defending this as being good, bad, or necessarily making sense.  It is a just a tradition, standard and common practice that has been continued for many years.  IMHO, giving everyone a 5-9 or 599 is just a shortcut and really removes part of the challenge of "getting the message through".  From the DX or DXpedition's point of view, it is just an expedient.

73,  Jack, W9GT

From: Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com>