[AMRadio] AM in Iraq?

Glenn Zemanek zemanek at att.net
Sun Oct 7 19:57:40 EDT 2007

The first time I was in Afghanistan before Iraq kicked off I brought a Ten
Tec Jupiter with me.  It was 100 watts and had more power than the HF radio
at the time we were using. I had some connectors and cables put together and
used the Ten Tec on SSB with the encryption module going into the mike
jack.The ten Tec was Mars capable and I was able to get into the military
freqs.  Worked great wish I took pictures for ten tec. I brought an SGC 2020
with me the second time in AF and used the 2 letter call before my call sign
with a small ladder line dipole and tuner and hooked up to a military
battery a BB5590 for the 12V. Reached some Europe and Norway and Belorusse
and a couple of other countries.  I tried to make it back to the US had guys
listening but no luck. The last couple of times in Iraq I did not have a
radio with me. The Iraq govt there shut down Ham Radio.  The bad guys use
cellphones and internet not HF.  I did not try on AM.  The HF radio we use
is automatic link --a handshake between trans and receiver--not used much
works good low power. I knew some guys did a 6000mile test shot on less than
a watt.   Everything is FM and Sat Com.

I do have an official call sign given to me by the Kyrgyzstan Radio Ministry
and in the process of putting a shack together there for use when I visit. I
will try an AM shot from there when I get there.  Chris w2JBL formerly KD2XA
is the AMer that has helped me a lot
Glenn