[AMRadio] Panasonic microwave oven parts for radio

WE0H we0h at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 11:26:17 EDT 2007

That's interesting to hear on the switcher HV supplies. Definitely
useful at 1/2a. If it is noisy a guy could filter it more and have a
nice compact HV supply. Now I have to go find one...hi hi...

Just think of the possibilities of a small HV switcher hidden under a
chassis of a radio that has a bad original supply that a guy can't find
a transformer or other parts to repair it. Leave the original
non-working parts on top for the visual look but having the switching
supply hidden under the chassis...A mix of new school and old school to
get a boatanchor operation with.

I'll try to find that site and post the link.

Mike
WE0H

John Lyles wrote:
The light Panasonic ovens that say something like Inverter on the logo
are switchers.
No heavy transformer anymore. They provide negative polarity hot and
operate in a current limit mode, not voltage regulation.
There is a website on them, if you search for it, that talks about
dissection of one, and the test results.
They are pretty neat power supplies, providing like 1/2 amp of DC at
 >2kV. But very dangerous to play around with,
unless you isolate, isolate, isolate. If you do decide to pass on the
power supply, I would love to have one to play around with sometime.
Might eventually be reconfigured to make a nice tube power supply.