[AMRadio] Re: GB> Re: IARU bandplan

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 12:25:36 EDT 2007

N2EY writes:

> Most countries outside the USA do not have subbands-by-mode at all. Their
> regs simply tell their hams what bands and modes are allowed, and leave it to
> the hams to sort out where to use various modes.
> The alternative is chaos.

I 'm confused - I don't think there is chaos in the hambands now around the
world because most countries do not tightly control the bands/modes.

But the the issue at hand is not "all-or-nothing", but rather where we would
like to be along the range from less/more and open/restricted.  There seems to
be a continuing pressure to restrict and limit the modes we are able to
operate.  I think the latest renewal of this effort comes from folks who want,
perhaps for commercial advantage, to promote the adoption of new digital voice and
data systems.  And  I'm not against digital - far from it! - but there is no
reason to outlaw or ghetto-ize older modes.  There is room for all...

I like the present very broad voice vs data division of the bands - seems to
work pretty well.  And I would leave bandwidth decisions open to allow for
experimentation.  That's my view.

Steve WD8DAS