[AMRadio] Re: GB> Re: IARU bandplan

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:45:56 EDT 2007

On this whole digital stuff... I guess I'm confused as to how much
spectrum we're talking about.

I know that TV stations have to go from Analog to digital by 2009.
There is going to be -megacycles- of space/spectrum available up from
60MHz thru nearly 1GHz.

The spectral footprint of the analog station is going to be reduced from
6MHz down to around 200kc... and there are already some stations in San
Antonio that are broadcasting in Digital, with channels like (channel 4
being the 'main') 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc...

So, while Video is rather 'large' as far as the spectral footprint, in
analog mode, we're reducing, by going to a Digital format, the spectral
footprint by 5.8MHz.

How much wider would a digital AUDIO signal on the ham bands be compared
to SSB?

Let's say we're not going to send/receive images... that brings the
digital size down considerably.  And, other digital items like PSK31
requiring less and less power to run.

questions, questions, questions...

if I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR