[AMRadio] IARU bandplan

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Sun Oct 14 09:33:24 EDT 2007

a: Cable companies are struggling to make systems that work.  Notable
exceptions are Comcast and Time Warner.  For the most part they have
working systems but many others suffer from aging infrastructure (20+
year old buried aluminum jacketed coax for example).  Here in the
Philly area I have Verizon FIOS fiber optic service direct to my
cellar for video, internet and phone.  Had it for 2-1/2 years and it
works flawlessly and on top of that I get over 20 local HD channels
with my rooftop antenna.  That works just fine as well.  I no longer
watch any off air analog TV stations.

the problem is not the digital signal its the intervening service
provider in your case.

b: As to AM go back and read the articles in ER in the first
year.  You'll find the ARRL tried to save the 750 watts carrier
output when the Grandfather clause was sunsetting in 1989-90 and that
another article by a gentleman who talked with several staffers in
the FCC, the staff was (1) worried about TVI and Hi-Fi IX and
telephone IX and was convinced that lower AM power was needed and (2)
they only had equipment to measure PEP and they (The FCC) wanted to
not have a different standard for different types of emissions in the
amateur service.  The FCC had selfish internal interests to make a
uniform power output standard.
Sometimes things are not what they seem.  History is a wonderful
teacher - too often we don't abide by it.

And when you get right down to it 375 watts is 3 dB less than 750
watts.  I have used a rule with clients in AM bcst if you can't
increase power by 6 dB (4x) its not worth the investment in most
cases and the increased revenue will often not offset the capital
costs, especially of the station is directional.

Larry

W3LW

Now lets get back to real AM topics.