[AMRadio] Re: IARU bandplan

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Sun Oct 14 12:05:13 EDT 2007

Earlier I wrote to the ARRL...now I've sent the following message to these
officials of IARU and IARU-Region2...

iaru at iaru.org,leandror at bellsouth.net,w6rod at iaru.org,hp1dj at sinfo.net,9y4ned at tst
t.net.tt,ve2ka at iaru.org,co2rp at jovenclub.cu,gudiel at comtelsa.com,9y4ned at tstt.net
.tt,pt2adm at pobox.com,lu2ah at szama.com,LPrice at iaru.org,tellam at iaru.org,rleandro@
cantv.net,dsumner at arrl.org

Dear IARU Officer -

I see that the IARU has adopted, effective Jan 1 2008, a new "MF/HF band
plan" for Region 2 that places restrictive limitations on transmitted signal
bandwidths and overlooks common modes and practices on the bands 160 - 10m.

I am VERY much against such limits - tight regulation and restrictions like
these goes completely against the experimental and innovative aspects of ham
radio.  As a member of ARRL, which is the US member society of IARU, I urge you
to stop this plan from going into effect.

I understand that it is a voluntary plan, but because it does not match
common practice on the bands today it will be ignored by thousands of operators.
Why make a plan that doesn't match present reality?

But, voluntary or not, my position remains that plan is defective.  Bandplans
like this have a history of increasing the stress among amateurs with
arguments and finger-pointing.  And voluntary ones  tend to become ever more
"official" over time, so I think it is vital that we not err on the side of
restriction and limitation which could hinder our future communication options.

Steve Johnston, WD8DAS
ARRL Member
Fitchburg, Wisconsin.