[AMRadio] Re: IARU bandplan

Mike Sawyer w3slk at hughes.net
Sun Oct 14 13:08:55 EDT 2007

Other than being thrusted through by the 'board of embicils' at the
ARRgghhL, why there wasn't any polling or surveying used as a basis for the
adoption of these plans. Just the fact that the majority of hams and the FCC
was against RM-11306 demonstrates the (be)League(d)'s plan was unwanted by
not only AM'ers, but all users of every other mode. My only hope is that TOM
will be awaken from his grave in Hagerstown, MD and run roughshod over the
bumblers in Newington by beating them on the head with the Woulff Houng and
stuffing the Retttysnitch where the 'sun don't shine and pills can't reach!'
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK

Steve Johnston, WD8DAS wrote:

Earlier I wrote to the ARRL...now I've sent the following message to these
officials of IARU and IARU-Region2...

iaru at iaru.org,leandror at bellsouth.net,w6rod at iaru.org,hp1dj at sinfo.net,9y4ned at tst
t.net.tt,ve2ka at iaru.org,co2rp at jovenclub.cu,gudiel at comtelsa.com,9y4ned at tstt.net
.tt,pt2adm at pobox.com,lu2ah at szama.com,LPrice at iaru.org,tellam at iaru.org,rleandro@
cantv.net,dsumner at arrl.org

Dear IARU Officer -

I see that the IARU has adopted, effective Jan 1 2008, a new "MF/HF band
plan" for Region 2 that places restrictive limitations on transmitted signal
bandwidths and overlooks common modes and practices on the bands 160 - 10m.

I am VERY much against such limits - tight regulation and restrictions like
these goes completely against the experimental and innovative aspects of ham
radio.  As a member of ARRL, which is the US member society of IARU, I urge
you
to stop this plan from going into effect.

I understand that it is a voluntary plan, but because it does not match
common practice on the bands today it will be ignored by thousands of
operators.
Why make a plan that doesn't match present reality?

But, voluntary or not, my position remains that plan is defective.
Bandplans
like this have a history of increasing the stress among amateurs with
arguments and finger-pointing.  And voluntary ones  tend to become ever more
"official" over time, so I think it is vital that we not err on the side of
restriction and limitation which could hinder our future communication
options.

Steve Johnston, WD8DAS
ARRL Member
Fitchburg, Wisconsin.